PROGRESSION TO UQ
In 1998 the first students graduated from IES Foundation Year programs and began their undergraduate studies at The University of Queensland. Since then, more than 6,000 international students have successfully completed the program and transitioned into UQ. IES Foundation Year annually enrols over 1,200 students from more than 40 different countries.
Over 85% of each graduating group are successful in gaining entrance to UQ across a wide range of programs and faculties. Entry requirements are prescribed in advance and all students who meet those stated requirements are offered a place at UQ.
IES College graduates enjoy a high measure of academic success at UQ. Studies undertaken indicate that IES Foundation Year Alumni have an average GPA higher than that of other international students.
Entry requirements for UQ
- Students must achieve a minimum GPA 4 to enter any undergraduate course at UQ.
- Students are admitted to undergraduate courses at The University of Queensland in accordance with the minimum requirements specified in the 'UQ Undergraduate Requirements' document.
- For most undergraduate programs a grade of 5 in AE (Academic English) will be sufficient to meet the entry requirements for UQ.
- Students may also provide evidence of English competency in the form of an IELTS score of 6.5 overall and 6 in each sub-band (or equivalent). Students whose prior qualifications already meet those needed for undergraduate entry i.e.: GCE 'O' Level, Australian High School Certificate Pass, etc. may not be required to provide further evidence.
- Some undergraduate programs in the area of Health Sciences, Business, Economics and Law require an IELTS score of 7.0 or more. In these cases, students still need to undertake an IELTS test (or equivalent) in addition to completion of their foundation year studies to meet the specified English requirement.
Programs with Quota Intakes
- Limited places are available in the Bachelor of Dental Science, Midwifery, Nursing, Dual Degree Nursing/Midwifery, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy, Speech Pathology and Veterinary Science Programs.
- A higher IELTS score (or equivalent) is required for entry to these undergraduate programs.
- Some undergraduate programs are available for Semester 1 entry only.
- Some quota programs may accept IELTS as the only form of English Proficiency test.
- Acceptance into other Australian Universities: IES Foundation Year graduates have gained entry into many Australian universities including the University of Melbourne, Monash University, University of New South Wales and University of Sydney. Placements into universities other than The University of Queensland are managed individually by the student. Student Services and Enrolments team at IES College may be able to assist in this process.
For further information about progression requirements for entry into UQ please contact the Enrolments Office at email@example.com